History

1956-1957

Presbiteriana da Madalena Church

The American School of Recife was born during the1956-1957 school year when two missionary mothers began teaching the children of four families at various grade levels, using the Calvert Correspondence Course, in the building of the Madalena Presbyterian Church.

1957

Rented House

The School was moved to a small rented house behind the Holiday Building in Boa Viagem.

1958

Continuing Moving

The school population continued to grow, requiring two additional moves to larger quarters: first to a house on Avenida Antônio Falcão in 1958 and then to a two-story house behind the old Porcão Restaurant.

1962

School’s Present Property

EAR’s first school board began to function, with parent/members coming from U.S. government, American missionary, and business groups. The School Board, the U.S Consulate, USAID, and U.S. Air Force personnel stationed here in Recife then joined forces and influence to successfully secure assistance in U.S. government grants, making possible the purchase of the school’s present property and the initial construction of the first buildings at Rua Sá e Souza.

1963

Mr. Bob King in a Pancake Breakfast Day

Dr. Bob King, a former superintendent of schools in Newhall, California, the first full-time professional director of the school, began to serve the school community. He succeeded one of the two missionary mothers who had founded the school back in 1956 and implemented the American School’s first educational program and would serve the school until 1966.

1963-64

EAR's library

Staff and students moved there during the 1963-64 school year

1964

EAR's First Seniors

The school graduated two seniors: Susanne Ellis and Bob Hagan. If they received their diplomas in alphabetical order, Ms.Ellis may have had the honorable distinction of receiving the first high school diploma from the American School of Recife.

1965

Dr. Bob King with the Jangada in front of the school

EAR’s 1965 yearbook, called the “Jangadeiro Annual” covering the 1964-65 school year, tells us much about expansion and development at the school during that year. In the children’s play area in the front of the school, EAR had a real “jangada”, and that’s why the yearbook was called “The Jangadeiro”, and all school letterhead stationary had a “jangada” on it. In fact, EAR athletes were called “jangadeiros” rather than Eagles up to the middle part of the 1970s.

1966

Jangadeiro Chapter of the National Honor Society

The initiation of the charter members of the Jangadeiro Chapter of the National Honor Society was held in the school library with a reception following the ceremony for families of the charter members. Two seniors, Cliff King and Dale Soules, and four juniors, Gay Lofgreen, Scott Smith, Mark Pease, and Gordon Williams were tapped for outstanding performances in Leadership, Service, Scholarship, and Character.

1966

Accreditation & Association

The school was acredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and also became a member of the Association of American Bi-National Schools in Latin America.

1967

Aerial view of EAR facilities

1970

A typical classroom in the 1970s

1975

1st Seniors Class of 1975

1977

EAR in 1977

1982

Inauguration of the Early Childhood Center (ECC) classrooms

1986

Construction of the main sports court

Construction of the main sports court

2006

EAR becomes computerized

The school began to computerize the academic and financial departments by installing an integrated management system.

2007

ECC classes start at EAR

First Nursery and Ecc 3 classes start at EAR.

2010

Tennis Clay Court

Construction of the tennis clay court

2012

Elementary Building Renovation

Expansion of the Elementary building

2013

Advanced Accreditation

The school received the accreditation of Advanced, a non-profit, non-governmental organization that accredits primary and secondary schools throughout the United States and internationally

2017

Parking Lot Completely Renovated

The school's parking lot has been completely renovated and paved. The school has reached the mark of 500 enrolled students.

2018

A New M.H. School Building

A new building for the MH School was built with eight new classrooms. The AdvancED Engagement Review Team visited EAR and renewed the U.S.accreditation